8 BENEFITS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY AFTER SURGERY
by apts2016, September 19, 2022
If you recently went into surgery, you have definitely spent a lot of time considering your recuperation.
Is there a way to accelerate the process? Should I take any additional action to speed up the healing process?
In this manual, we discuss the advantages of physical therapy following surgery and when you should begin and what benefits it can offer?
Though each case is unique, there are some great general benefits that physical therapy can provide. Let’s discuss first why physical therapy is essential after surgery?
Why Is Physical Therapy Important After Surgery?
Physical therapy allows patients to recover faster and regain mobility quickly after surgery and also ensures that any repairs or replacements made during surgery will heal properly. Many patients prefer physical therapy for pain management as a way to avoid opioid medication.
From knee and hip replacement surgery to rotator cuff surgery to repair a torn tendon, the best physical therapist will help get you back to doing the things you love.
How Soon After Surgery Should You Start Physical Therapy?
Your doctor or surgeon will let you know when it is time to start physical therapy. Generally, the earlier you start, the better. It is important to follow your doctor’s orders and not try to do too much too soon.
8 Benefits of Physical Therapy After Surgery:
Here are eight benefits of physical therapy after surgery
- Helps with Recovery: Starting physical therapy early can help you recover faster and get back to your normal routine more quickly.
- Ensures Proper Healing: Physical therapy helps make sure that any repairs made during surgery heal properly.
- Improves Mobility: Physical therapy can help improve your mobility and range of motion after surgery.
- Reduces Pain: Physical therapy can help reduce pain and swelling after surgery.
- Prevents Infection: Physical therapy can help prevent infection by promoting proper healing and preventing inflammation.
- Improves Balance: After surgery, physical therapy can help you regain your balance and prevent falls.
- Strengthens Muscles: Physical therapy helps strengthen the muscles around your surgical site.
- Increases Endurance: Physical therapy can help increase your endurance and stamina after surgery.
Physical Therapy After Surgery: How the Right Clinic Can Help?
Finding a physical therapist with whom you feel comfortable with, is now necessary given the benefits of physical therapy following surgery.
We advise you to work with a physical therapist before your scheduled surgery. It might be quite beneficial to have a preliminary consultation and examination to talk about your operation, expectations, and goals.
Follow these recommendations when looking for a physical therapist:
- Make sure the physical therapist you are working with is licensed.
- Look for a therapist who focuses on rehabilitation for the particular injury or procedure you have.
- Make sure the location of your therapy is clean, private, and equipped with the necessary medical and exercise equipment for your needs by taking a tour of the facility.
- During rehab, relationship building is crucial. Make sure your therapist can accommodate your visit frequency and that you will see them each time.
Our team of experienced and certified physical therapists will create a custom treatment plan to help you recover quickly and safely from your surgery.
Contact us to discuss your recovery options.